Monday 20 October 2014

Health and Halloween

October is always one of my favourite months of the year. The nights get longer, the weather gets cooler and mumma starts adding dumplings to our dinner to fatten us up for the winter. 
It's always a super busy month for me as its full of birthdays, oh so many many birthdays. Growing up, this meant sweets at school more or less everyday day; now it means lots of lovely meals out with friends and family, cocktails and wine. After a month full of baking cakes and writing cards for other people I get to celebrate my own birthday at the end of the month- I turn 22 on the 26th October, put it on your diaries folks. 
As well as all the autumn cuddles and birthday parties, October brings with it... Halloween. I freaking love Halloween. In less than 2 weeks, I will finally get the chance to wear the costume I've been planning for weeks, and I cannot wait. But before then, I'm gonna snuggle up with a nice hot chocolate and a toffee apple and force my boyfriend to watch Hocus Pocus. It's one of my favourite ever films, and as far as I'm concerned, it's just not Halloween without it. 
Halloweens past: l-r 2009, 2011, 2012
That's how my Octobers go, year after year. However this years been a little different. The birthdays and such have still been there, but it's been a bit of a roller-coaster month for me. You may have noticed, I haven't blogged a lot recently. I've been super busy and my health has been exceptionally unpredictable. After a few months of improved health, my symptoms have come back with full force- not everyday, but a lot of the days. 
One of the main issues I've been facing is nausea. Until last year, nausea was not a symptom I'd ever experienced. Even on my most ill days, nothing could tear me away from my food. However for the last few weeks I've experienced a dramatic drop in my appetite, caused by almost constant nausea.  It's really quite draining, and living off mainly toast is getting boring. On top of this I've had a few funny spells of overwhelming dizziness, faintness and pain... It's all such fun.

Now, call me crazy, but there's also something else taking up my time this month. Back before I travelled to America, with my health on track, I applied on a whim for a internship role with a charity. I got it. Not wanting to pass up this brilliant opportunity I agreed to work 10 hours a week at their London office as a Digital Editorial Intern. Don't get me wrong, I do love it. The atmosphere is relaxed, the people are lovely and I get to write and edit all day- pretty ideal for an English graduate. However, it's quickly becoming apparent that I've bitten off more than I can chew. While the internship is certainly my priority at the moment, it's becoming a bit of a struggle. I've got my fingers crossed I can pace myself and make it to the end (it finishes in December), however if I don't, at least I can say I tried!

So all in all it's been a bit of an up and down month for me so far. While I'm super proud of myself for getting and doing the internship, it does bring home that I'm perhaps not as well as I thought I was. This ME recovery malarkey really is a long and bumpy process!

Alice

11 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you're struggling with life lately, I feel like I'm in the same position, before my holiday at the beginning of August I felt like I was doing quite well, I was doing more things and generally things were on the up. I decided to apply for an online job, got the job, but since then things have gone downhill. I feel like I've bitten off more than I can chew too and it's not fun! Is it too much to ask for us to stay on the right track and actually get better? Clearly it is! :( I hope you start to feel improvements soon and enjoy Halloween!

    Hayley-Eszti

    www.hayleyeszti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hayley. Likewise, I hope your job is going well at that you're managing it without becoming too unwell! :)
      Alice x

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday for the 26th- it my birthday that day too :-) sorry to read you have been so poorly, I hope you start to improve and can enjoy your birthday and Halloween xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah happy birthday for last week then! I hope you had a lovely day :) x

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry to hear that you have been feeling unwell lately. Well done on the internship! You are doing really well taking that on. I hope things get a bit better for you soon. Happy birthday for the 26th!

    Lennae xxx
    www.lennae87.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lennae- I hope things are good at your end too :) x

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear so many symptoms have flare up for you recently! Nausea has been a big one for me at points too. Ginger nut biscuits tend to be a go to for me when I feel so sick. Well done you for taking the leap with the internship! It's such a brave thing to do when your health is playing up. I really hope that your symptoms start to reduce and you can enjoy taking on that role a little more rather than it being a challenge.
    Faye
    freckles&all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you! I'll definitely give the ginger nut biscuits a go, it's worth a try :) x

      Delete
  5. I know exactly what you mean about 'biting off more than you can chew', I love being busy but sadly ME doesn't at all! Every day I seem to be feeling gradually worse and worse, which really sucks as I'm only a couple of months into my new job and I enjoy it so much. Trying to manage my own blog as well as working has been impossible and I've had to just get on as best I can, but if I'm honest I feel like I'm truly struggling. So sorry to hear that you've been feeling a similar way, it's awful to hear that so many other bright and beautiful people are going through the same thing - I'm sending all my love! Nausea is terrible isn't it, I've had a sickness bug the last couple of days and it was actually a welcome change to feel sick then be sick (too much info, sorry!) than just feeling horribly sick all the time but nothing ever happening. It depends on how sensitive to smells you are but I find scented pure oils really helpful, peppermint is my favourite and helps to distract me when I'm feeling really nauseous. That, and a nap!

    Meg at Meg Says

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is such a shame to hear that there's someone else in the same position. It's the absolute worst when you start feeling like you can manage life like a normal human being, only to find out you can't! I've also found it really difficult to manage my own blog too- I think two posts in the last two months can testify to that haha, which is really gutting. Sending love right back at ya. I hope things pick up soon x

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete