Saturday 4 October 2014

If you're ever in Boston...

I've been back from America for no less than two weeks now and I haven't blogged once... I know, I'm a terrible blogger, but please do forgive me- I've been recovering. I was expecting three weeks of sight-seeing fun to wipe me out completely and have me wrapped up in my duvet catching-up on all my missed tv for the foreseeable future. However, (and I may be jumping the gun a little here), I'm not actually doing too badly. No, really. Yes I've had to take things slowly, and I have had the first inklings of a throat infection for the last week but I'm actually ok. 

So what have I been doing these last few weeks during my time across the pond? Well I've been exploring all that Boston has to offer, guided by my very own almost local, my boyfriend Jamie. 
Before my trip, I'd never been to America before. So naturally I spent the first few days in complete awe of their roadsigns, mailboxes and fire-hydrants, I was jumping with joy whenever I saw a 7eleven, a Wholefoods or a laudromat. 

Obviously I can't fill you in on  all I've been doing the last three weeks, I'd bore you to death and you'd probably never read my little blog again. And that's definitely not what I want. So I figured I give you something of a highlights reel, step-away from mentioning my chronic illness and just give you a little snapshot of my time in Boston. So, just in case you ever head over there, here's a little list of some of my must do things in Boston and the surrounding area.


1. Have Breakfast at The Friendly Toast (Cambridge)

Jamie and our lovely pancakes
The first thing I wanted to do when I woke up on my first morning in America was eat some fluffy American pancakes, and The Friendly Toast's offering did not disappoint. If you're a regular reader of my blog or you follow me on Instgram, you'll know I try to eat gluten-free whenever I can- and at this lovely little cafe, you definitely can. Both myself and my boyfriend had their gluten-free pancakes and they were just as light, fluffy and delicious as you'd expect their gluten counterparts to be. They were perfect. So perfect in fact that I went back and had the same again. If however you're mad, and pancakes aren't your thing, they've got a large varied menu including delicious smoothies, omelettes and what I've heard is the best grilled cheese in town. The fabulous food paired with the brilliantly kitschy retro decor really does make this place a must visit.

Best for: Gluten Free Breakfast

2. Celebrate at the Top of the Hub


While we were away, Jamie and I celebrated spending four years together. And what better way to do it than munching on some delicious food, fifty-two storeys above the Boston skyline. Being the organised human that he is, Jamie booked way in advance and we landed ourselves a much coveted window table. The view of the city stretching out before you and the river winding it's way through the glistening lights is just spectacular- as is the food. The experience however wouldn't have been the same without the attentive staff, who presented us with candle topped deserts once they were aware we were celebrating. I'm gonna be honest, it was pricey, but not so much so that it wasn't worth it. If you've got something to celebrate, then you may as well do it in style, right?  Though do make sure you request a window table.

Best for: Feeling special on you Birthday/ anniversary etc.

3. Re-enact history at the Boston Tea Party Museum



Jamie and I are both pretty into history, so we're always up for visiting local museums; however I have to admit, I wasn't prepared to have such a good time at a museum dedicated to the throwing of tea off of some ships (I know, I know, it was much more than that). I won't ruin the surprise and tell you all that happens as you tour the museum, but I will say that there's costumes, feathers and a great deal of tea. 

Best For: A couple of hours of family fun

4. Stop for something sweet at Flour (Cambridge)

With queues reaching the door at all times of day, this place is crazy popular- and for good reason. Their cakes, sweets and other bakes are just to die for. So good in fact that I don't have any photos of the lovely food as I was always too eager eat it. Stop in here after a day of Cambridge sight-seeing (perhaps you've wandered the halls of M.I.T) and grab a coconut macaroon (my recommendation) or a ginger molasses cookie (Jamie's) and I promise you won't regret it. 

Best For: Sweet treats

5. Chill out along the Charles River



When I  visited Boston in the balmy Summer months there was no better place to enjoy the sunny weather than along the Charles River Esplanade. Sit right on the waters edge, with a perfect view of the Cambridge skyline and just watch the world go by. It's also a popular running spot; so if unlike me you have the energy to exercise, grab those running shoes and join the hundreds of runners a day taking a jog along the river.

Best For: Relaxing in the sun

So there you have it, my time in Boston in a nutshell. Before going, Boston had never stood out to me as somewhere to visit. However it really is a beautiful city and if you're ever in the area, I really do recommend spending some time there... I know Jamie and I will certainly be going back.

Alice
x


6 comments:

  1. Ahh Boston looks awesome! Is cool you saw somewhere a little less cliché (although offer me a cliche holiday to America and I'd be there in a heartbeat - haha). I'm sorry you've been recovering but it looks like it was worth it!

    Em x

    emmadrusilla.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boston was great, although I did do a bit of the cliche too- I had a few days in New York. Although I have to say, I definitely preferred Boston to New York! x

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your post about Boston. I've never been there but my wife and I have traveled coast to coast in an RV. We also share your M.E. illness and know how hard it is to travel and have fun. I'm very bad at blogging but have some posts.
    Walter Irvine blogs collections of observations and amusing stories based on real experiences, as far as you know. You may read his posts on Walt's Inquisitive Ramble at: http:/www.waltsinquisitiveramble.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that sounds awesome! Sorry to hear that you also have ME- it really is a pain.
      I'm not that great at blogging either, I'm still just getting the hang of it. I'll head over and give yours a read when I get the chance :) x

      Delete
  3. This photos are making me feel so envious! It looks and sounds like such a lovely time, and got to visit somewhere as cool as Boston looks! PEM and time needed to recover is inevitable but I hope it was worth it.
    Hayley-Eszti

    www.hayleyeszti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was 100% worth it :) I'd definitely recommend it if you ever get the chance! x

      Delete